Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Buckwheat Breakfast Crumble

Breakfast is most definitely my favourite meal of the day! It's also probably the meal that has got most predictable for me since going gluten free. I seem to have fallen into a pattern of having pretty much the same thing most mornings. My go-to options have become gluten-free toast with almond or cashew butter, gluten-free oatmeal with blueberries or a fresh juice (preferably of the green variety). Not that there is anything wrong with any of these options, infact they all super yummy & chock- full of goodness.... I just fancied a bit of a change!

Cue, my Buckwheat breakfast crumble.


I'd not tried raw buckwheat groats before, but I'd heard very good things about them. They are full of fiber, minerals & protein don't you know?! I also wanted to try something a bit diffrent & innovative not just using the regular gluten- free subsitutes. It took me a couple of attempts to get the groats to the right consistency the first time I made it, but once I had perfected them, this quickly became my new favourite breakfast/brunch dish! So, here it is....

Ingredients
(this serves 1, but you could just as easily double or triple it & serve it 'family-style' in a bigger dish)
  • 1/2 banana
  • 2 tablespoons raspberries
  • 3 tablespoons blueberries
  • 4 or 5 chopped strawberries
  • 2 tablespoons gluten-free oats
  • 1 tablespoon raw buckwheat groats
  • 1 tablespoon almonds
  • 1 tablespoon raw organic honey
  • 1 tablespoon raw almond butter

Directions
  1. Rinse the raw buckwheat groats, then soak them in water over night.
  2. Rinse them again, let them dry, and put them in a food processor.
  3. Add the gluten-free oats, almonds, & honey to the food processor, pulse it until just combined, (you don't want the mixture processed too fine).
  4. Slice the banana, and top with the berries in a bowl.
  5. Spoon the almond butter ontop, (you can stir it into the fruit if you like too).
  6. Sprinkle on the buckwheat/ oat mixture and serve.

I'm not on a strictly 'raw food' diet, however I do like experimenting with raw recipes every now and and then. This was one of those experiementations. But equally, it could be baked in the oven and served warm. I just make it like this for it's convinience because I'm always rushing around in the mornings to yoga or work, and don't always have time to bake something. It would also be so delicious served as a healthy dessert with my Coconut ice cream melting over it.

Let me know what you think in the comments below xo

No comments:

Post a Comment