Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Rice Crispy Treats

These were always one of my favourites as a child, I used to love getting all messy making them, and sneaking tastes from the bowl when the adults weren't watching! Actually, even at 24, they are still one of my favourites, but now, I just don't have an adult frowning at me for pinching the gooey yumminess... I'm allowed to sneak tastes freely! I haven't had them for a while, I just didn't think they would be something I would be able to eat being a gluten free vegan. But, stumbling upon the gluten free rice cereal at the market got me thinking how much I missed them,  and after quite a few batches, I think I've come up with a recipe that is so yummy, you actually can't tell the difference!


Ingredients
  • 8 cups gluten free rice cereal
  • 1 cup almond butter
  • 1 cup brown rice syrup
  • 1/2 cup gluten free vegan marshmallows
  • 1 tablespoon gluten free vanilla extract

Directions
  1. Line a square/rectangle cake pan with baking parchment paper.
  2. Pour the rice cereal in a really large bowl, (you need enough mixing room not to spill any).
  3. Over a low-medium heat, in a large saucepan, combine the almond butter & brown rice syrup, stirring constantly until melted.
  4. Turn the heat down slightly, add the marshmallows, & keep stirring until melted.
  5. Take the pan off the heat, stir in the vanilla extract.
  6. Pour the melted marshmallow 'sauce' over the cereal & keep stirring until all the rice is coated.
  7. Spoon into your lined cake pan, press the mixture down, & refridgerate for about 1 hour.
  8. Cut into squares, and serve. Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment