Thursday, August 23, 2012

Sweet Apple Kugel & '2 Broke Girls'

A good giggle is super good for you and I love the TV show '2 Broke Girls', (thank you CBS, you rock!) and even though I doubt Max and Caroline's cupcakes are vegan and gluten free... I still think they look delicious! (I just wouldn't be able to sample them).
 
 
But it wasn't their cupcakes and frosting that caught my attention one Monday night. It was the Kugel they were fed! It was the episode entitled...'And the Kosher Cupcakes', and Max was going nuts for the stuff! I have to admit I had never heard of it before this episode, well I'd heard of it, I just didn't know 100% what it was, and I have to say, it had me intrigued!
 
 
The Kugel didn't sound very vegan or gluten free, so, I got to work! After a few tries, some culinary magic happened. Cue my Sweet Apple Kugel.... (P.S. Thank you CBS for the '2 Broke Girls' pics)
 

Ingredients
  • 12oz vegan gluten free pasta (check the label for egg!) I used noodles but any pasta would work. Why not try kugel lasagna?
  • 1/2 cup agave nectar
  • 15oz silken tofu
  • 1 tablespoon unsweetened vanilla soy milk
  • 2 cups raisins
  • 4 medium apples (my favourites are pink ladies)
  • 1/4 cup applesauce
  • 2 teaspoons gluten free vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon (and extra to dust if you fancy)
  • 3 tablespoons vegan dark chocolate chips (optional)

Directions
  1. Pre heat the oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Cook the pasta according to packet instructions and drain.
  3. While the pasta is cooking peel and cut the apples into small cubes or slices.
  4. In a food processor, blend together the silken tofu, soy milk, applesauce, vanilla extract, and cinnamon.
  5. Toss the pasta with the apple and raisins until evenly distributed. Place half of the noodle mix into a casserole dish or tray.
  6. If your using choc chips, sprinkle them over the noodles, and then cover with the other half of the pasta mix. I sandwich the chocolate chips in the middle, because I think they make an oh-so-satisfying gooey melty surprise, plus it stops them burning if some end up near the top. But,  you could always toss them with the pasta, raisins, and apple if you want them distributed through  the dessert.
  7. Pour the tofu batter evenly over the noodles making sure they are fully coated, and dust with extra cinnamon if you fancy.
  8. Bake for 35-45 mins until golden and (I can't think of a better way to describe this, so I apologise in advance) 'not sloppy'.
  9. Let cool slightly, and serve warm! YUM!
As I can't sample the regular Kugel to taste the difference, I took some to work with me for my Jewish colleague to taste test, and he said, "although it's not quite as good as [his] Bubby's [Grams], it is a close second". He said it didn't taste vegan or gluten free either. So, for a first attempt, I'd definitely call my Sweet Apple Kugel a success! It was so good, I snook some leftovers for breakfast the day after. I know what your thinking, noodles and choc for breakfast?!?! But please don't judge.. I was in a rush. And, there is some fruit in there too! :) xo

No comments:

Post a Comment